Monday, February 25, 2008

my letter of intent to the philippines

this needs editing, need input, please. i am trying to get a job in the philippines so i had to write a letter of intent, help me get a job abroad!

To Whom It May Concern,
I am a second-year nursing student getting my bachelor's degree at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In terms of the ranking of our school,we have been deemed #4 in annual research funding from the National Institutes of Health (2005) , our Graduate programs are in the top 10 according to U.S. News and World Report (2007) and we boast a 98% NCLEX overall pass rate for 2006. (The NCLEX is the national nursing exam each nursing graduate must pass in order to recieve his or her license to practice.) Within our school, there is a growing interest in Global Health and it is precisely this that pushed me into the nursing field. I have been wanting to join the PeaceCorp since I was in high school so global aid was always on my agenda. I am going to Guatemala for 10 days in March to work in some rural clinics located outside the colonial capital city of Antigua. A few of the nursing students in the past have travelled abroad to places like Malawi and Honduras but my interest lies primarily in Southeast Asia. No one from the faculty at our school has contacted the directors at Santo Tomas Hospital before because I am the first who has expressed a primary interest in working in the Philippines. My mother is an alumn of the University which was how we were able to have contacts in the hospital.
By May, I would have already had my clinical rotations in Medical-Surgical, Psychiatric, and Pediatric. I have had my nursing assistance license since May 2006. Initially, I had worked in home health, travelling to people's homes who require some assistance with tasks of daily living such as personal hygiene, house keeping, and assistance with reading medications. However, when I moved to Chapel Hill, I applied to the hospital and have been working there since January 2007. I work for the House Float Pool, which means that I go to all of the units whenever they require assistance, including in the emergency department, all of the critical care units, psychiatric, pediatric, women's hospital, and the regular floor units. My experience is vast but only within the context of an American hospital, since I am wanting to work in developing nations, it would be ideal for me to gain experience outside the country. Thank you for your time. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Leilani Trowell

No comments: